The centerpiece of the northern motorway.
The Grouft tunnel is part of the Route du Nord, and connects the Plateau Haeschtreferbierg in the south to the Vallée de l'Alzette in the north. It is 2,966 meters long.
It is made up of 2 separate tubes of unidirectional circulation.
The downtube towards Mersch has 2 lanes plus the exit ramp at the approach to the Lorentzweiler interchange. The tube to Luxembourg has been fitted with a third track for heavy goods vehicles.
The excavation was done by coming from the North and South sides of both tubes at the same time, in other words from 4 simultaneous fronts.
Shotcrete and surfacing concrete
Details of the structure :
- The width of the excavation is 11 metres for the 2-way tube and 15.5 m for the 3-way.
- With regards to elevation, the tunnel has a maximum longitudinal slope of 4.63% from the portal of the ‘Vallée de l'Alzette’, ie a vertical drop of 130m.
- Almost the entire length of the tunnel passes through forests and fields.
Félix Giorgetti was responsible for the following :
- Platforms for the installation of construction sites;
- Earthworks for the north and south entrances to the tunnel, including the reinforcement of the walls;
- All road works outside and inside the tunnel.
Horseshoe shape and / or counter-vault
(3 lanes up / 2 lanes down)
2 parallel tubes
Galleries at a distance of 300m each, of which 3 are suitable for vehicles
Emergency bays at a distance of 100m each
Underground excavation length
2 x 2,966 m
7 to 10.50m
10 to 13.50m
Typical excavation profiles
69.50 to 111.70m²
Concrete in the inner ring
Projected concrete of the outer ring
Construction of a 2.2 km bypass to relieve traffic congestion on the rue des Trois Cantons.
Hosingen cut-and-cover tunnel
The cut-and-cover tunnel is the first section of the Hosingen bypass.
New railway line Bettembourg-Luxembourg
Construction of a 1.7km section of the new railway line between Bettembourg and the capital.
Widening of A3 motorway
Félix Giorgetti is taking part into the major mobility project of the widening of A3 motorway.